Irving Marantz, best known for his figures abstracted into cubist forms, had a gift for bringing vivid warmth and humanity to a style that might otherwise be thought aloof or mechanical. His life in the arts reflects this interest: Marantz was a beloved teacher at several universities, founded a community center art program, directed the Provincetown School of Painting for twelve years and served as Honorary Vice-President of the Provincetown Art Association.
Born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Marantz graduated from the School of Fine and Industrial Arts in 1933, studied painting with George Grosz at the Art Students League and was employed for four years by the WPA. His active exhibition record includes over a dozen one-man exhibits, notably, a retrospective at the Provincetown Art Association in the summer of 1979. Marantz’s work is included in the collections of The New York Public Library, Tel Aviv Museum and the Library of Congress.
For decades a painter, during the last five years of his life, Marantz turned to three-dimensional media, working in bronze and creating for major outdoor sculpture commissions placed at sites in New York City and its surroundings. These later works, depicting individual and groups of figures, are at once organic and unified, striking, yet intimate, and evoke the quintessence of the artist’s achievement.
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
New York Public Library, NYC
Ein Harod Museum, Israel
Tel Aviv Museum, Israel
Library of Congress, Washington DC